jQuery Slider

You are here

Archbishop of Canterbury's office criticised for 'ignoring' abuse complaints

Archbishop of Canterbury's office criticised for 'ignoring' abuse complaints
An independent review into an historic abuse case within the Church of England found the victim was repeatedly ignored when he tried to raise the matter with senior church figures

By Martin Evans
March 15, 2016

A Church of England sex abuse victim was repeatedly snubbed when he attempted to raise the matter with the Archbishop of Canterbury's office, a damning report has found.

The man, who was abused by two senior members of the clergy more than 30-years ago, attempted to alert Justin Welby on at least 18 occasions, both in writing and by telephone, but was persistently ignored, causing further pain and trauma.

An independent review into his case concluded there had been a string of "deeply disturbing" failures by senior Church of England figures to take his concerns seriously.

It revealed that he had repeatedly sought to bring the details to the attention of the Archbishop in 2015, but had been left "angry and frustrated" by the lack of response.

We should have been swifter to listen, to believe and to act. This report is deeply uncomfortable for the Church of England, said the Bishop of Crediton, Sarah Mullally.

The review concluded: "The Archbishop of Canterbury, as head of the Church of England, is not in a position where he could be expected to reply personally to each safeguarding concern that is received by his office, no matter how deserving they may be.

"However, it is important that where a survivor chooses that route they receive a response that is meaningful and helps them to move on. This did not happen in this case."

The report described how the first case of abuse occurred when the victim was a teenager and was invited to stay overnight with a priest named Garth Moore, who was a family friend.

He said after plying him with alcohol Rev Moore -- who died in 1990 -- attempted to rape him.

The following year he became involved in a relationship with another senior member of the Church, who was in his 60s at the time and was subsequently ordained a Bishop.

The victim said while he had considered the relationship to be consensual at the time, he subsequently realised that it was exploitative and abusive.

He later suffered a mental breakdown and was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder which he blamed on the abuse.

Neither of the men were ever held accountable for their actions and enjoyed very senior positions within the church.

Last year the victim received £35,000 in compensation after the Church of England accepted that his abuse had been a matter of "deep shame and regret".

Responding to the report the Bishop of Crediton, Sarah Mullally, issued a profuse apology to the victim for the abuse suffered.

She said: "We should have been swifter to listen, to believe and to act. This report is deeply uncomfortable for the Church of England.

"I know we have made some progress but we still have so much to learn and to do, and we need to do it quickly."


'I told so many bishops': survivor tells of system that protected priest

In a Guardian interview, Joe describes how a C of E priest assaulted him 39 years ago as the church is due to publish a review into its handling of the case

By Harriet Sherwood Religion correspondent
March 15, 2016

For almost 40 years, Joe has struggled to be heard by the Church of England over the sexual abuse that has blighted his life. The depression, anxiety and occasional suicidal thoughts that have dogged him since he was a teenager were, he says, as much the product of the church's failure to listen to and act on his anguish as the original assault in 1976.

He speaks of a culture of inertia, obfuscation, denial and cover-up. "I raised core, critical issues with a very significant senior slice of the church down through the decades. I told an astonishing number of people."

Even when, finally, he formally reported the abuse, he felt "blanked". "It's a very effective device for shutting down an issue. And you leave the issue, the burden, on the survivor's shoulders -- who feels cowed, intimidated by the weight of silence."

Joe hopes that Tuesday's publication of the C of E's independent review of its handling of his case -- with its recognition of the church's failures, along with the apologies he has received from a handful of senior figures -- will allow him to finally attain an inner equilibrium. But he is in a very small minority, he says. "As things stand, most survivors will probably not receive a personal apology or any real justice. I am one of the lucky few."

His story begins when he was 15. Garth Moore, the chancellor of the dioceses of Southwark, Durham and Gloucester and the vicar of St Mary's Abchurch in the City of London, was a family friend. According to Moore's obituary, published in 1990 in the Ecclesiastical Law Journal, he was "the foremost canonist of his generation in the Church of England".

Joe -- not his real name -- was asked to serve in St Mary's Abchurch and, with his family's blessing and encouragement, was invited to stay overnight occasionally in Moore's flat in Gray's Inn. He describes Moore as his "spiritual mentor, very solicitous. He treated me as special".

With hindsight, Joe realises that Moore was grooming him. Moore took great interest in the boy, offering praise, adult conversation and alcohol during their evenings together. "He played very heavily on the fact of my adoption to undermine trust in my family," says Joe. He was, in effect, "slowly detaching me from loyalty to my parents".

One evening, when Joe was 16, he says that Moore suddenly turned aggressive and controlling, interrogating Joe and slamming his fist on the table. "Over two hours, he intensively stripped me psychologically. I could see something very sinister was happening, and I didn't know what to do. It had never occurred to me until that moment that I could be in danger. I was like a frozen rabbit."

Moore ordered Joe to undress and pinned him face down on his bed. He attempted to rape the terrified boy, in what the report describes as a sustained and sadistic sexual assault. The next morning, Joe served at St Mary's Abchurch under Moore's guidance.

He considered reporting the attack. "But I knew no one would believe me. Moore was a very senior figure in the establishment. My feeling was that I would get into trouble. Something bad had happened, and it would be worse if I told anyone."

It was a couple of years before Joe was able to speak about the episode. The number of people he told -- mostly C of E priests -- steadily mounted up. Many listened sympathetically; some offered absolution. But none took action or advised Joe to do so.

One of the earliest was Michael Fisher, the highly regarded leader of the Society of St Francis and later the suffragan bishop of St Germans in Cornwall. Fisher, who was then in his 60s and died in 2003, was acquainted with Moore and was a close associate of Peter Ball, the former bishop of Lewes, who was jailed last October for sexual abuse.

According to Joe, then aged 18, Fisher "drew the full story out of me in confession. Immediately afterwards, he led me into an intensely romantic friendship with him" -- kissing and caressing but no penetrative sex -- which lasted 18 months. At no point did Fisher record or act on Joe's disclosure of the earlier attempted rape.

"This was not the right response to a young man who was seeking help," says Joe. It "added another layer to the complexity of abuse. At the time, it didn't occur to me that this charismatic figure [Fisher] was abusing me spiritually and emotionally."

Over the years, among the senior figures whom Joe told about the abuse were three bishops and a senior clergyman who was later appointed a bishop.

Joe finds it hard to accept that, while many people remember being told his story, not a single senior church figure has any recollection.

"It's astonishing to me, looking back, to realise I told so many senior C of E priests and bishops. None came back and said: we need to help you get properly heard and you need a sense of real justice happening. No one ever came back to me. There was casual and systemic inertia all the way through. These were not bad people themselves -- they were people working in a profoundly dysfunctional structure."

One serving senior bishop wrote to Joe last month to offer a "heartfelt apology" for his lack of recollection of the disclosure. "I recognise that my not remembering set against your clear recollection may reinforce the perception of inaction that continues the hurt for you, and for other survivors. I am genuinely also sorry for this," the email said.

It wasn't until July 2014 that Joe, with the support and help of a local parish priest, formally reported Moore's sexual assault to the Church of England's safeguarding team and the police. After lengthy interviews, investigation and unseemly "horsetrading" between Joe's solicitor and the church's insurers last October -- 39 years after the attempted rape and 25 years after Moore's death -- the C of E publicly apologised to Joe and paid £35,000 compensation. It also launched an independent review into its handling of the case.

But Joe remains astounded at the way it was dealt with. On receipt of his compensation claim, the church shut down communication with Joe on the instructions of its insurers, who wanted to avoid liability. The sudden total withdrawal deepened Joe's anguish and sense of rejection -- and halted vital professional help.

"Many of the key issues I raised dozens of times were effectively blanked. Questions concerning disclosures to senior figures were treated casually or dismissed. Astonishingly, the part of my story concerning Michael Fisher was completely overlooked, as though it wasn't important," he says.

Last month, Paul Butler, the bishop of Durham, who leads the C of E's safeguarding work, privately apologised to Joe for the church's response to his disclosures. He said he had no doubt that Joe had been abused by Moore, and there were likely to be other survivors who have not yet come forward. He ended his handwritten letter, seen by the Guardian, with: "I am ... deeply sorry for the hurt I have caused you."

But there has been no apology from Justin Welby, the archbishop of Canterbury, to whom Joe reports writing 18 letters after the church began examining his case. He had one reply, from a correspondence secretary, assuring him that "the archbishop would hold him in his prayers".

After having a major breakdown in the early 1990s, Joe spent six years at an Anglican community for people in crisis. "It was a good place for me, but it took me a long time to claw back," he says. "I don't really remember a time when I have not had mental health difficulty."

His solicitor, David Greenwood of Switalskis, who specialises in clerical sexual abuse cases, describes Joe as "highly credible". Joe, he said, had the courage to press his case. "Most do not. Most harbour the psychological fallout in silence."

Greenwood has requested "core participant status" for his client in the forthcoming independent inquiry into child sex abuse, led by Justice Lowell Goddard.

Joe has plenty to say to the inquiry. "What happened to me is not unique. The case might be unique, but the church's shamefully slow response isn't. It's been a huge struggle. Never again. They must take real ownership of this issue. If I can help win that for other survivors, the fight will have been worth it."


Get a bi-weekly summary of Anglican news from around the world.
comments powered by Disqus
Trinity School for Ministry
Go To Top